Learning to wait on God in 25 Minutes

Guess you have to start somewhere. I am sure God starts with something small and doesn't expect us to put too much on the line for a big loss eh?

So I arrive at the doctors building at 9:15 for an appointment at 9:45 a.m. The building is busy with at least 30 cars moving through the large parking lot hoping to catch an opening to park. I had never thought about talking to God about a parking space before, at least seriously, but I was under pressure to get to an appointment and so I asked God about it.

1) My first thought was to ask God - "Do You even care about a parking space?" and of course I felt He assured me that He cared about all things about me.

2) Secondly, I thought about, "Do You really answer prayers about things like this?" and He reminded me 'Ask and you shall receive.'  So I figured I probably should ask. So I prayed and asked God for a parking space.

3) Then I began to wonder if I truly believed He would give me a parking space. I felt that I didn't deserve to get a parking space since there were so many others sicker than I that needed one. But in my heart God reminded me that they could ask Him for one too and He would give it to them.

4) I began to get really frustrated with all these people pushing to get a parking space and knew anger and frustration would hinder God answering my prayer, so I made sure to release any frustration at them and God again reminded me about His love and concern for everyone under pressure to get to their appointments. I then felt a compassion for all of us on this same path.

5) As I continued to drive through the parking lot looking for someone to come to their car I realized we were all ready to pounce on the next person out the door headed for their car. Realizing I needed to wait on God (the parking space was coming for Him and the four cars in front of me would pounce first anyway), I slowed down and waited for what God would do next. It would have to be by chance (or God of course) to be the one right in front of the person getting in the car. So I wait.

6) But does waiting mean it could be until the last possible minute - and could I wait or just leave and go find a parking space in the neighborhood and walk half a mile. That is my first instinct - to book it out of here and make sure I got to my appointment on time.  But I reminded God promised to answer our prayer and we must wait upon Him.

7) So what is waiting? Expecting Him to come through? I am reminded He has to get all things aligned. So I choose to trust Him and wait. I keep driving slowly - waiting for the parking space He has provided. The minutes ticking by as my chance to be on time is passing. But I keep listening to Him. Remembering His words that He will provide if we ask. It is all about expectation.

8) And then there it is - an older lady pushing an older man in a wheelchair as the other cars pass them by, slowing down to see if they are positioned right for the grab. As their opportunity is missed, I slow down to wait on the couple as they go to a car on my left.  Perfect timing, perfect position. I know in my heart that God provided. Sure I may have happenstanced upon one but this one was definitely from God. So I thanked Him for it.

9) As I check in at my appointment I hear a frustrated guy behind me complaining about the parking and how he drove 2 hours to get here and then another hour driving around looking for a parking space. And that his wife was still out there driving around..

It wasn't an easy process and I had to rely on God continuously as I fought the urge to do it my way. And through this I pray I can take more things to Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You know you are Acclimated to Oklahoma when. . .

Touching His Presence